Sunday, July 26, 2009

Day 7: Yes, We Worked on the Sabbath

We got a lot done today. The morning started as planned, at 7:30, with English class. Today Cherry and I finished teaching the children food vocabulary, and then proceeded to teach them words that have to do with ordering food in a restaurant. Cherry explained each item to the children while I wrote the item on the board and drew a picture of it. This culminated in having the children separate into groups and write skits using the words they just learned. They then performed the skits for us. It was a sight to behold. Although pronunciation is still a real problem, they are eager to learn and seem to want to work. After all, they are in school on a Sunday in the summer. I am hopeful that they will improve greatly.

This afternoon we put down a layer of cement at both worksites. This involved a massive cement mixer and lots of stones, dirt, and water. We had more workers than ever before and the operation was like that of a beautiful machine. Everyone had a job, and every job fit together. Now at the end of the day, the designated areas in our park each have a smooth, dry(ing) layer of black cement sitting on top of them.

This post is perhaps a bit more brief than those before it, but I am more tired now than I have been at the end of days previous. I was hoping to finish The History of Love tonight, but perhaps I will delay that in favor of getting a good night's rest. If my mind doesn't need it, the soles of my feet certainly do. Good night.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Josh,
    I finally looked at this blog and it looks like you're having a really interesting time in China. I look forward to hearing more about it when we get back to school, though your posts here seem to be pretty detailed. Anyways, hope you're having a good summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Nicole. At the very least I'll have lots of pictures to add to the story.

    ReplyDelete